>> Published: 8th of March 2023
PhotoQt v3.1 is a new release that comes with a range of new features and improvements. Thanks to everybody who gave feedback and tested changes, with a particular shoutout to @hadoukez and @novomesk.
Here are some of the highlights of this new release:
There have been significant improvements to the file dialog:
- The file count is now visible no matter the contrast with the folder icon.
- Fixed the sorting of all files and folders in both the main view and breadcrumbs dropdown menu.
- The breadcrumbs dropdown menu has been reworked with scrollbars and better handling of large folder counts.
- The overall layout of the file dialog has been tweaked to work better when the window is small, including fixing some smaller visual glitches.
- Preview images can now be scaled and cropped to fill the entire space behind the file view.
- Thumbnails in the thumbnail bar can now be scaled and cropped to fill the entire square provided for each thumbnail.
- The status bar and/or window buttons can be automatically hidden when not needed. If that is enabled, then they can either be shown on any mouse cursor move or when the mouse cursor is close to the top edge. In addition, the status info can be shown shortly whenever another image is loaded.
There are various general interface improvements:
- All Elements that are shown behind any other element can be shown slightly blurry.
- Context menus are styled much more consistent throughout the application.
- Font sizes for the various parts of the interface are all specified using point sizes instead of partially with pixel sizes.
- Mouse wheel scrolling is handled much smoother and more reliable.
- Windows: The default application font has been fixed to Segoe UI (9pt).
In addition there have been a few other improvements and additions:
- Whenever PhotoQt is hidden to system tray it can reset the session including freeing most of the allocated memory.
- By default, large images are scaled down when loaded in order to be fully visible. It is now possible to tell PhotoQt to always load the full image unscaled (including shortcut to toggle this setting).
- Exiv2: Add support for BMFF meta format (if available and enabled).
- External applications are now specified in a better way for both the custom context menu entries and external shortcuts.
- IRC: I often hang out in the IRC channel #photoqt over at Libera.Chat.
- GitLab: Feel free to open an issue over in the GitLab repository.
- Join the translation team over on Crowdin. If your language is missing you can simply request it directly on Crowdin or send me an email and I can add it to the project.
- Give feedback of what you like/don't like, or what you think is missing from PhotoQt. To give feedback, send me an email or open an issue on GitLab.