PhotoQt 2.6 - new image formats, new features, better performance
>> Published: 7th of April 2022
PhotoQt v2.6 is now ready with support for new image formats, new features, and better performance. In addition, several bugs discovered since last release have been fixed. Thank you to everybody who provided feedback.
Some of the highlights of this release include:
- Support for new image formats: PhotoQt relies on various libraries in order to load and display a wide variety of formats. Recent changes to those libraries result in the following new formats to be supported:
- Animated Windows cursors (ani)
- Multi-face font package (dfont)
- Group 4 Fax (g4)
- High-Efficiency Image File (heic/heif)
- OpenType Font (otf)
- Postscript Type 1 font (pfa/pfb)
- JPEG 2000 uncompressed format (pgx)
- Quite OK image format (qoi)
- DEC SIXEL Graphics Format (sixel)
- New transitions: There are a few new transitions for switching between images. In addition to the already existing fade-over and move left/right and up-down, images can now explode, implode, and rotate into each other. There is also a random mode that chooses a new transition at random each time around.
- Advanced Sorting: The files loaded in the main view can be sorted in some new ways. You can choose to sort them by image resolution, the dominant image color, and the average image color.
- New filter options: There a new ways to filter the currently loaded folder to only show images matching certain criterias. In addition to file names/extensions, images can be filtered based on their file size and image resolution.
- Print support: It is now possible to print images directly from inside PhotoQt. There are various image settings available (roughly based on GwenView's print options).
I love to hear from people using PhotoQt. In order to get in touch with me for feedback/support/etc., there are a few different ways you can do so:
- IRC: I often hang out in the IRC channel #photoqt over at Libera.Chat.
- GitLab: Feel free to open an issue over in the GitLab repository.
- Join the translation team over on Crowdin. If your language is missing you can simply request it directly on Crowdin or send me an email and I can add it to the project.
- Give feedback of what you like/don't like, or what you think is missing from PhotoQt. To give feedback, send me an email or open an issue on GitLab.