>> Published: 22nd of October 2021
After a short wedding-related break in developping PhotoQt over the summer, a new release of PhotoQt is ready, coming with several additions and improvements, some addressing years-old issues on GitLab.
Here are some of the highlights of this release:
- Zoom/Pinch to position: Up until now, PhotoQt would only zoom to the image center instead of where the mouse cursor was pointed. Starting now, PhotoQt zooms to/from the cursor position. The same applies to pinching on touchscreens.
- Exclude directories from caching/preloading: There are some cloud providers that only download files when acessed. Caching/preloading images would trigger this for all the files. Now there is an option to exclude directories (including its subdirectories) from any caching/preloading.
- Clicking on the empty area around the image previously could only close PhotoQt (if enabled). Now there is another option to also navigate to previous/next image depending on if the click happened in the empty area in the left or right half of the screen.
- New filetype icons: PhotoQt now has its own set of filetype icons that are shown before thumbnails are loaded. They allow to quickly and easily see what filetype an image is.
- most metadata (Exif/XMP) was never refreshed when a new image was loaded
- placeholders in external shortcuts were only replaced when they were surrounded by spaces
- changes to the current image/folder were not reacted to
- wheel directions were reversed
Besides the fixes/additions that affect all platforms, there have been many fixes specifically targetting Windows. The Windows version of PhotoQt is nearing feature parity to the Linux version, only a few (mostly minor) things are not yet supported.
If you want to help PhotoQt, there are a few ways you can do so:
- Join the translation team over on Crowdin. If your language is missing you can simply request it directly on Crowdin or send me an email and I can add it to the project.
- Give feedback of what you like/don't like, or what you think is missing from PhotoQt. To give feedback, send me an email or open an issue on GitLab.
- Support me with a donation to show your appreciation of all the time I spend developing/maintaining PhotoQt.