>> Published: 14th of June 2021
It has only been a week, but quite a lot happened with PhotoQt in just this one week. The additions, improvements, and bug fixes are more than enough to warrant a full new version.
There have been a few new additions to PhotoQt, some of which inspired by feedback and comments I have received (thanks to everyone who did so):
- Context menu: In addition to the main menu there is now also a context menu that can be opened up at the mouse position. When upgrading, PhotoQt checks whether the right mouse button is in use for a shortcut, and if not it will be assigned to the context menu. Of course, this can be changed to any desired shortcut.
- New shortcuts manager: The manager for shortcuts has been completely rewritten. Before it could be a little difficult to see which shortcuts are set for any one action. The new shortcut manager takes a slightly different approach. It shows one tile for each action with all the shortcuts set right next to it. This makes it so much easier to keep an overview of what is set to what and how to call which action.
- New shortcuts: Together with a new shortcuts manager a range of new internal functions were added. There are now shortcuts to
- Enable/disable viewer mode
- Show/hide the main menu, metadata, and thumbnails
- Show/hide the quick navigation buttons
- Show/hide any face tags
- Show the context menu
- Restore defaults: There is now again a way to restore the default configuration from inside PhotoQt. You can find it through the 'advanced' button in the settings manager. It is possible to restore the default of the settings, the image formats, and/or the shortcuts.
Please note that the default shortcuts have changed slightly. None of your existing shortcuts will be touched, unless you reset them to the default shortcuts. However, the most often used shortcuts have remained unchanged.
- New image format: If the Qt plugin for JPEG XL is installed, they can now also be opened through PhotoQt.
- The mouse gestures use arrows instead of North/South/East/West to indicate direction
- Loading rar archives with non-Latin filenames failed when unrar was used
- The setting PixmapCache used the wrong datatype (bool instead of int). When upgrading, this value will be reset to the default of 512MB (unless cache has been disabled altogether)
- Various other smaller bug fixes and improvements. See the Changelog for a few more changes.
- Join the translation team over on Crowdin. If your language is missing you can simply request it directly on Crowdin or send me an email and I can add it to the project.
- Give feedback of what you like/don't like, or what you think is missing from PhotoQt. To give feedback, send me an email or open an issue on GitLab.
- Support me with a small donation to show your appreciation of all the time I spend developing/maintaining PhotoQt.